Itty Bitty Radio Telescope Data Logging Modifications

I decided to work on the logging issue with my telescope, as the graph of data produced last time was very noisy. As I couldn't take the meter input directly into the microphone input of the computer, I decided to add a power jack to the satellite finder so that the buzzer could still work while I had the unit connected to my computer.

I purchased a splitter so that the LNB could feed both the finder and my computer connected through an SDR (Software Defined Radio).

Splitter


The splitter I purchased had to have the DC power pass between the input and only one of the outputs. This is important because I didn't want the DC power needed to run the finder and the LNB to enter the SDR. It isn't designed to take the DC power in.


SDR

SDR connected to splitter

Everything connected to the computer

Splitter installed with SDR feeding to computer

Preparing finder for modification
I had to modify my finder because I wanted to be able to plug DC power into it from a jack instead of the connector on it. To open the case, I had to remove the dB knob from the front.

Insides of the satellite finder

I removed the PCB from the finder

PCB removed

Adding wires to allow switching of the buzzer
I didn't always want the buzzer running while taking measurements. The sound is very irritating to listen to for a long period of time, but it is very useful when trying to aim the telescope. So I wanted to install a switch to be able to turn off and on the buzzer.

Close up of wires

Adding more wires

Adding wires for DC power

Hole in case

Everything soldered together

Everything in place in the case. Switch installed in the hole.

Back cover snapped back into place

All finished with switch and DC power jack installed

Adding connector to DC power source
The next step was to add the appropriate connector to the DC power source so I can connect it to the satellite finder.
Soldering work 
Finishing up



All done

Now that the modifications have been completed, the telescope is ready to take measurements again.

Comments

Popular Posts