Mid morning sun shots with smartphone

 Just got a Celestron zoom eyepiece for my PST. I have been wanting to try out one of these for a while with this scope. It was finally sunny today, so I took my PST out for some quick views with the new eyepiece. I snapped a couple of quick pictures with my phone because there was a really impressive prominence on the edge of the sun.


You can see some of the surface details on this picture along with some Newton's rings from the sensor in the phone. Focus was very difficult with the phone.


This image was the sharpest I was able to take and shows some surprising detail of the solar prominence. No surface detail is visible because the PST has a very narrow window of proper tuning.



Overall, I am impressed with the views through the Celestron eyepiece. I enjoy the simplicity and convenience it gives while observing the sun. I think I can downsize some of my fixed length plossels I use for solar observing. One thing I like about the zoom eyepiece is that under the rubber eye cup it has T threads. I might also get an adapter to try getting some better shots of the sun.




Comments

Popular Posts